Bible Search Engine

Bible in a Year

Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: Force Field Filling Problem
  Posted: 03/09/2004 at 5:50:27 am
  By: ianclarke

I've spent the morning installing bizmail.cgi etc and all seems to be working well except for forced field completion. Although I have listed the field in <input name="required"> field that are of the drop down menu type eg

<select name="year">
<option>Select</option>
<option value="2004">2004</option>
<option value="2005">2005</option>
</select>
are not listed as a Missing Field on the error page. Does the script check for <option> inputs?

Subject: Re: Force Field Filling Problem
  Posted: 03/09/2004 at 5:59:15 am
  By: Seth Knorr

It will read them as a blank field if the OPTION VALUE=""

You have to change <option>Select</option>

TO: <option value="">Select</option>

By default if no value is specified on option fields it will default that value to the selected text inside the <option></option> tags.

Seth

Posted: 03/09/2004 at 6:31:34 am

Seth

Many thanks for your help. Problem solved. I have made a small donation via PayPal. Thank you for Bizmail.

However!! - just discovered another small problem. When the user is sent to the Error page and clicks the browser BACK button to return to the form all the fields have been cleared. Is it possible to keep the information they have already inputted?

Posted: 03/09/2004 at 9:54:58 am

Firstly thanks for the donation.

Secondly, yes but it would be a little more complicated.

Basically the concept you would want to use is the same as the success page module.

First you would want to take the success.cgi and success.html, and copy so you have a second copy of each, and then rename them like
errorform.cgi and errorform.html

This way you don't run into naming problems with the success module.

Second you will want to read the SUCCESS README on how the success module functions.

After doing that follow these steps:

1. First you will want to setup errorform.html to look exactly like you form page that you will be using.

The only modification would be with the INPUT FIELDS.

You would need to add:

<input type="text" name="FORMFIELD" value="<%FORMFIELD%>">

<input type="text" name="FORMFIELD2" value="<%FORMFIELD2%>">

ETC.. the <%FORMFIELD%> will personalize that form field with the previously inputted data.

The only problem you will run into is on SELECT and CHECK box fields.

However with these you could use JavaScript in your page and check which exists and then
via that have them selected or checked. This is really complicated... Your best bet for right now may
be to just let them select the fields again.

2. Replace the <%HIT_BROWSER_BACK_BUTTON%> tag IN errorform.html with:

<a href="errorform.cgi?FORMFIELD=<%FORMFIELD%>&FORMFIELD2=<%FORMFIELD2%>">

AFTER THE: errorform.cgi?
You should have ALL the fields in your form with a corresponding =<%FORMNAME%> entry.

Follow as if it was the "success_page" entry as explained in the success page readme.

That is kind of the guts of it. The success Readme should give you the idea of how it would work.

If you run into any other problems, or need further clarification let me know.

Seth

Posted: 03/09/2004 at 10:02:52 am

One other side note is you can use Javascript validation to check if fields are filled in.

This will not let them get to the bizmail error page without filling in the form completely.

The only posible problem being if they do not have JAVASCRIPT enabled on there browser.

You can read up on how that works on this post: Java Script Validation

Seth

Posted: 03/10/2004 at 9:46:24 am

Seth,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I've tried various Javascript scripts to validate fields using the "onsubmit" command but I am always sent to error.html even if the alert shows the field is invalid. I can't figure out which setting to change to stop this. Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Ian

Posted: 03/10/2004 at 10:10:07 am

Where is the HTML form located (URL).

I will take a look at the form, and that will give me a better idea of why?

Seth

Posted: 03/10/2004 at 10:23:31 pm

Seth

Many thanks for the offer. I have just gone through the questionnaire and put some comments in to help you understand the structure of the questionnaire. If you search for all the <! you will hopefully find all my comments. The questionnaire is at http://www.etaconsulting.co.uk/test/qtl_testing.html. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Ian

Posted: 03/11/2004 at 6:19:42 am

Wow, that is a very unique way you created your form, I never seen anything like that before. The reason why you are getting the error page, is due to the fact that you have <input type="hidden" name="sendreply" value="1">
This will send a reply to the data entered in the "email" field. Curently on your form you have name="requiredaddress" as the email field. You will need to change this to name="email" then you will be all set.

Seth

Posted: 03/12/2004 at 12:52:14 am

Seth,

Many thanks for your comments. I've discovered that the main problem was that I omitted "return" in the "onSubmit" so the form was still conneting with the bizmail.cgi even though the javascript validations had found an omission. As you can see the form is too big to use the error checking in bizmail because the form is cleared when you return to it and I think users would be upset to lose all their data just because they had missed one field.

Many thanks again.

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved