Bible Search Engine

Bible in a Year

Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: Blank Auto-Response Body
  Posted: 05/09/2004 at 9:44:02 pm
  By: stepdg

From what I can tell, I have everything working. I (as the administrator) receive the form information fine. The person who filled the form also receives an auto-response with the right subject, but the message body is blank. They are not receiving anything whether I have it set to use PLAIN.MES or HTML.MES. I even tried adding the "plain_mesfile" setting to the form page and hard coded it to the PLAIN.MES file without success.

This is running on IIS5 with the latest ActiveState Perl. Other than the blank body, everything else checks out. If the answer is right in front of me, I sincerely apologize.

Subject: Re: Blank Auto-Response Body
  Posted: 05/10/2004 at 2:36:25 pm
  By: Seth Knorr

1. I am sure you know this but the message file if using default needs to be in all lower case.

Anyway this is probably not it so send me the url where the HTML form is located and I will test it.

Seth

Posted: 05/11/2004 at 10:44:05 pm
  By: ewolfe

I'm having the same problem, with a weird twist on it.

When I submit the form, I will receive the auto-reply, but it's blank. I will not receive the form contents at all.

If I change the sendto address to gnostic_usa@cox.net (rather than the one I need it to go to) then I will receive a mailer-daemon message telling me that my address was rejected and it is shown as: gnostic_usa"@cox.net

This is really weird because it's in the script exactly how it should be:
gnostic_usa\@cox.net

And inside of the mailer-daemon message, I see the mail that was intended for me, and it contains all of the data fields.

So I know that smtp is working. Something actually goes out when my address is misconstrued. If I use any other address, the form is never mailed and the auto-reply goes out with the subject line filled in, but the body is blank.

My dat file is also empty, but I'm guessing that's a permission issue with the Windows server I'm running the script on.

Seth, I've read over every seemingly related post in the message board and I think you must be some kind of saint. I hate to ask for help after all you've been thru with this script, but I have honestly been working on this for the last 11 hours, and I really need help.

My script is at:
http://footefx.com/cgi-bin/bizmail.pl

Form is at:
http://footefx.com/mailform.html

Posted: 05/11/2004 at 11:25:52 pm

I just tried the Novice form and it works fine. ???

I guess I can use that, but I'd really like the features of the Bizmail.pl

Posted: 05/12/2004 at 5:54:17 am

Ok, if it is the email back that is giving you the problem, it may not be the script it may be the settings of the spam filters of the email receipient receiving the message OR THE MAIL BOX WAS FULL etc.... THIS would be the only logical explanation for getting a bounce back if you have the email address setup in the script.

Curently I am working on the loading the auto reply message for the type of server you are on and should have a response shortly.

Seth

Posted: 05/12/2004 at 8:10:49 am

Thanks for looking into it Seth. Here's some more info for you that might help.

At some point last night, the script began writing to the bizmail.dat file. I don't know what I did, but it started working. So it wasn't permissions.

As for the email, it's not spam filters because when I use novice.cgi, it works fine with the same address. (Any address I use, in fact. I have several I've been testing with.)

bizmail.pl sends a blank auto-reply with a working subject line, but sends no email to the sendto address (or the ccto address.)

novice.pl sends an email to the send_to address, but no autoreply and no From line. (I think it's written that way, being a much simpler script.)

I thought it must be my form page, but that form page will work when I merely change the form action to \cgi-bin\novice.cgi from \cgi-bin\bizmail.pl

so it seems to be a problem in the pl itself, or the way this windows server handles it.

Did you try it and get a proper auto-reply?

I need to find a way to make it work or replace it with something else in the next few hours, so it won't be there for testing.

I appreciate any solution you may discover. Thank you.

Ed

Posted: 05/12/2004 at 8:17:22 am

Oh yeah, I wanted to show you the mail error I received. This should provide a major clue. Something changes my email address and puts a quotation mark in it, making it an invalid address. And yet, further down in the error message, you see that it actually had my email address correct and thus should have been able to deliver it. This error is sent by the mail-daemon on the website host.

When I made the send_to address "gnostic_usa@cox.net" it gets changed, and the mail that would have been sent is included, and has the form data. When I use "ewolfe@footefx.com" no mail is sent, and no error is recieved.

Here's what I get back when using my cox.net address. Note the "invalid recipient" address:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail4.hsphere.cc.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<Foot Efx <gnostic_usa@cox.net>:
68.1.17.3 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Invalid recipient: <"Foot Efx <gnostic_usa"@cox.net>
Giving up on 68.1.17.3.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <ewolfe@footefx.com>
Received: (qmail 7837 invoked by uid 399); 12 May 2004 05:12:23 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO localhost.localdomain) (216.157.145.129)
by mail4.hsphere.cc with SMTP; 12 May 2004 05:12:23 -0000
To: "Foot Efx" <gnostic_usa@cox.net>
Subject: BizMail Contact Form - Web Form Submission
Content-Type: text/plain

The form below was submitted by ewolfe@footefx.com Ip address: 68.104.112.146 May 12, 2004 at 1:26AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

firstname:
lastname:
address:
city:
state:
city_state:
phone_number:
email: ewolfe@footefx.com
call_time:
comments:
Submit: Submit

(I had only filled in the email address since I've submitted the form 60 or 70 times.)

Posted: 05/12/2004 at 9:47:59 am

Another update:

I've found that mail *will* send to the cc_to, but not to the send_to, even if they are the same address, different address, different domains, same domain as the script/form, etc.

This is getting workable now. I can just use the cc addresses. the .dat file is still being written.

The auto-reply still has a blank body, but I can just stop using that. My success.html page informs the sender that their submission went.

Now I just have one minor annoyance - my emailed form has a duplicate subject line. lol. Not a big deal. We can ignore that. Just makes me look a little unprofessional since the mail form won't actually be going to me. But I should be able to figure that out since I got everything else working.

The weird bounces were coming from using our smtp server the same way we would in email. I tried another address and it bounced. so I knew something was sending, or trying to send anyway.

I changed it to "localhost" and the bounce stop being sent and suddenly the cc_to started working.

If this makes any sense at all to you, Seth, I'd love to hear about it. If not, then I thank you for looking into this bizarre situation anyway.

Ed

Posted: 05/13/2004 at 11:04:30 am

Ok firstly, re-download the curent version of the windows script. The only file you need to concern yourself with is bizmail.pl.

1. I think that your double subject problem should now be fixed.

2. As for the TO EMAIL that you get results to. To fix this problem you will send the very last line of text in bizmail.pl before you get to the line that say no need to edit any other variables you will see a variable:
$from_name_format

To make it work just comment the top line and uncomment the bottom line, so it should look like this:

#----- F R O M N A M E F O R M A T -----#

$from_name_format = "\"$reply_from_name\" <$FINAL_sendto>";

# IF PROBLEM ARISES UNCOMMENT BELOW AND COMMONENT THE $from_name_format ABOVE #

#$from_name_format = "$FINAL_sendto";

3. As for the auto reply message, is the message set to: read write and executable for all, just like the data file? It ushualy would not have to be but on your server it may be the problem.

Seth

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved