Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: Multiple choice forms and response email
  Posted: 02/04/2004 at 4:16:53 pm
  By: mark.miller

Hi.

Can you help please?

I am a newbie to cgi but have managed to get your bizmail script running on our site. It works really well complete with fully customised .html email responses. However i have run into a problem that I am unable to solve...

A multiple choice questionnare/booking form has been created. Everything is working fine, we get the email with all the details and the .dat file is populated etc. but in the response mail to the "sign up" I seem to get all the code for the individual fields as you can see in the example below:

mark miller
some company ltd
Speaker 1 on Tuesday 24th Feb at 12 noon
{Tuesday2}
Speaker 2 on Tuesday 24th Feb at 14:00
{Tuesday4}
{Wednesday1}

an example of the check box code would be "<input name="Tuesday2" type="checkbox" id="Tuesday2" value="speaker X on Tuesday 24th February at 13:00">

Subject: Re: Multiple choice forms and response email
  Posted: 02/04/2004 at 4:19:11 pm

Email got chopped here is the rest!!

Is this the correct approach?
and/or
Is there some code that i should put on the form that will say if the check box is blank leave this field blank in the response email.

Thank you for your time

M :0)

Posted: 02/05/2004 at 6:30:16 am
  By: Seth Knorr

I see what you are trying to do. What you want to use is a "radio" effect, where one selection has to be made. All RADIO buttons will have the same name example all will be name="event" and then use {event}

Here is the problem you are running into. By default Browsers in general ignore non checked CHECK BOX fields, as if they are not even on the form, unlike hidden or text TYPE fields.

Your other option would be for every check box field you have on your form to put a hidden field above it. So if the check box field is not clicked nothing will happen.

EXAMPLE.

<input name="Tuesday2" type="hidden">

<input name="Tuesday2" type="checkbox" id="Tuesday2" value="speaker X on Tuesday 24th February at 13:00">

So if it is not checked {Tuesday2} will show up blank in the email. Other wise it will show up with "speaker X on Tuesday 24th February at 13:00".

It was a very good question.

Seth

Posted: 02/05/2004 at 6:39:35 pm

Hi thanks for the advise.
It is close but not quite there. I put the hidden field into the form as you suggested and it removed the unwanted code "<seminar1>" and the required results "speaker x on..." were in the "signups" return email. when i continued this procedure with the other checkboxes (11 seminars in total!!) it seemed to stop working in so much as the CHECKED box results stopped appearing in the mail. Do i have too many options to choose from? or have i missed something.

Also, and you may have seen this comming, but when the results are not posted, is it possible to remove the line break if the entry does not exist.

As i said in my initial post i am a newbie with cgi and forms. and i am aware that i am maybe a little demanding. I can see what i want to acheive and i do appreciate your time

please feel free to take a look at the site. it is under pages/seminar.html although it is not live yet.

Posted: 02/05/2004 at 7:06:01 pm

1. You must have ALL hidden fields apear first in your HTML page then the RADIO/ CHECK BOX fields. If you do this you should get the right result.

2. I am not sure what you are talking about when you are talking about the line breaks. In what part are you talking about, the email??

Seth

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 2:13:29 am

Hi Seth
Thanks for staying with me on this i do appreciate it.

OK, the code you suggested on the sign up form is layed out like this

<td width="10">
<input name="seminar1" type="hidden">
<input name="seminar1" type="checkbox" id="seminar1" value="Speaker X on Tuesday 24th Feb at 1:00 pm ">
</td>

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 2:14:38 am

mail got chopped eek!

What seems to happen is the email to us is has all the details which is great. the .dat file is populated which is excellent, we currently export it into excel to create a basic list of signups. From our end this is fantastic.

The issue is with the "sign up" auto response email. I thought it would be nice if we could confirm their selection(s) and details supplied (there are 11 seminars over a 3 day period)
so the email would read something like...

Thank you Joe for your interest in our seminar programme the details yo have supplied are:
Joe Signup <==== this works fine ====>
The Signup Company Ltd <==== this works fine ====>

The seminar(s) you wish to attend are
Speaker X on Tuesday 24th Feb at 1:00 pm <==== this does not work ====>
Speaker Y on Wedensday 25th Feb at 3:00 pm <==== this does not work ====>

...etc

Originally the results looked like this
Thank you Joe for your interest in our seminar programme the details yo have supplied are:
Joe Signup <==== this works fine ====>
The Signup Company Ltd <==== this works fine ====>

The seminar(s) you wish to attend are
<seminar 1>
<seminar 2>
<seminar 3>
<seminar 4>
<seminar 5>
<seminar 6>

...etc
the results to us were still correct including the .dat file but the email was wrong.

Now with the revised code in the form the auto response email comes back with blank spaces for the <seminar> entries even if they have been checked.

I do appreciate that this may not be quite what the bizmail script was designed for but it would be great if we could get this to work

Thanks again

Mark :0)

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 5:47:08 am

What is the url where the form is located and I will take a look at it.

Seth

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 7:08:23 am

the URL is the website that i gave you when i signed up and the location is /pages/seminar.html

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 7:55:28 am

Seth, sorry to mess you about but this page has gone live so i have removed all the code in the .mes file for capturing the seminar dates and we are going to confirm reservations manually.

Our show is in a couple of weeks so this needs to be done now. I would like to rtesolve it at some later point if that is at all possible, I can see many uses for the bizmail product on this site and others.

Thanks for everything i will continue to monitor this board and see how we go

Posted: 02/06/2004 at 8:42:49 am

If you would like put it up in a subdirectory in your cgi-bin, and create another form, for testing purposes, and I will take a look at it.

Seth

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved