Bible in a Year

Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: 500 Server error & log entry
  Posted: 04/01/2004 at 2:15:44 pm
  By: itman

Hi,
I've tried this 6 ways from sunday, checked permissions etc and I got this far and I'm stuck. When I click the submit button, I get:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@sweetgrassadvertising.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.sweetgrassadvertising.com Port 80

Looking in the Apache log file, I get:
[Thu Apr 1 14:34:16 2004] [error] [client 10.145.32.62] malformed header from script. Bad header=Failed to load: /home/webdocs/cgi-bin/bizmail.cgi

I have no idea why. My SMTP server is EIMS (running on a Mac in the same subnet) and should accept posts from this machine. Sendmail is un-installed in this server. I'm not sure about local smtp though.

Any ideas?

Subject: Re: 500 Server error & log entry
  Posted: 04/01/2004 at 2:54:35 pm

Update:
The script IS writing to the DAT file. I added that in after reading someof the other posts. So it looks like I'm having an SMTP crisis... meltdown, whatever.

Can I use SMTP-AUTH in this script. If so, I have my own SMTP server (Windows 2000) that I can send from as long as I set up a username and password. Any thoughts?

Posted: 04/02/2004 at 5:43:46 am
  By: Biscuits

G'day itman

I found this script very easy to install & configure.
Keep trying - The Bad header=Failed to load: /home/webdocs/cgi-bin/bizmail.cgi seems to suggest that you have misconfigured the script.
It should always point directly to your cgi-bin.
eg:- /cgi-bin/bizmail.cgi
Try http://www.yourserver.com/cgi-bin/bizmail.com
replacing yourserver.com with the name of your server

Best Regards
Biscuits

Posted: 04/02/2004 at 5:48:39 am
  By: Biscuits

Whoops

The URL above should have read
http://www.yourserver.com/cgi-bin/bizmail.cgi
not an extension of .com

Apologies
Biscuits

Posted: 04/02/2004 at 1:40:43 pm

Thanks, I have it set to just"/cgi-bin/bizmail.cgi" and I have an scriptalias in my httpd.conf file that points /cgi-bin to the correct directory so I think I'm getting the script OK. I AM getting input into the DAT file so the script is running, just crashes when it attempts to email.

Posted: 04/02/2004 at 2:46:27 pm
  By: Seth Knorr

Yes, This is definately a SMTP problem.

No, you can not use SMTP authentication with this script.

I would check with your host, maybe they can point you in the right direction something that will work with there server. Or you could find a more versatile hosting solution.

Seth.

Posted: 04/05/2004 at 7:39:06 am

oops. I am the host! I agree that the EIMS mail solution is not ideal, but it is what's in place. When this script uses SMTP, what are the parameters used to send the mail out? As far as I can tell, no SMTP service is running locally on the Linux box right now so I'll have to use an external SMTP source.

Thanks

Posted: 04/05/2004 at 8:43:41 am
  By: Seth Knorr

If you are running Linux, then you should be able to run SENDMAIL, which I would suggest. It is the easiest way to do things.

If you have not SMTP service running localy, it is close to imposible to get it to work. As almost all ISP's are going to either:

a. Require Authenication

b. Only alow SMTP use localy

The reasoning for this is due to people abusing SMTP servers for SPAMING.

Seth

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved