PHP Version

Other Favorites

Hire a clean comedian

Bible Search Engine

Bible in a Year

Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: My hosting server has reserved the cgi-bin - what to do?
  Posted: 07/06/2004 at 10:13:43 am
  By: kngdvd

Hi,

First off, thanks for the script :)
Now, to the problem:

I have not been able to get it to run, though I have understood all the instructions, tried all the alternatives suggested in these threads, etc. Everything is CHMODDED correctly, routes to Perl and Sendmail are correct (also tried adding " -w" to perl route). My cgi-bin is located at: /public_html/cgibin in my route directory.

I wrote to my hosting service to inquire about the use of the cgi-bin and they gave me the following reply (translated from Spanish, I live in Chile):

"This Server has reserved the name to the cgi-bin, so you won't be able to use it. You should name your directory "cgi" or somesuch."

So, before I go and reconfigure everything again, should I really try this, or am I experiencing a different problem?

The route to Perl in my case is the standard: /usr/bin/perl
And Sendmail is: /usr/sbin/sendmail

Thanks in advance for any help.

Subject: Re: My hosting server has reserved the cgi-bin - what to do?
  Posted: 07/06/2004 at 10:14:42 am

Should read:

My cgi-bin is located at: /public_html/cgi-bin in my route directory

Posted: 07/06/2004 at 1:46:03 pm
  By: Seth Knorr

It sounds like sound advice. Generaly by default every server admin set up the folder cgi-bin as the place where you place all Perl/CGI scripts, and this folder is generaly located inside the main HOME directory. However although this is the norm, you will see diferences, where you may have to put all scripts in the "cgi" directory. This just depends on how your server is setup.

So to answer your question, this may or may not solve your problem. But if it is your hosting company telling you this it generally is good advice.

Seth

Posted: 07/06/2004 at 4:16:57 pm

I'll try it out then. Thanks for the help. In the meantime I installed novicescript, but I think I'd rather use the bizmail script. I'll let you know how it goes. Since I'm new at this, I did want to ask first so as to be sure.

Posted: 07/07/2004 at 3:41:57 pm

Looking Good :)

I seem to have gotten it configured properly, after creating a "cgi" folder and using it instead of the original "cgi-bin".

I'm trying to figure out how to change the text formatting on the Error page now. Is there a way to do this? I know how to change the messages that appear, but have not figured out how to change the font weight, type and color.

Thanks again for the help!

Posted: 07/09/2004 at 7:08:38 am
  By: Seth Knorr

Just Add those font tags inside the error.html or formerror.html before and after the error tags that should already appear in that html file.

Seth

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved