Bible in a Year

Parallel Bible

The Richer Life

[ Message Board Home ]    [ Post Reply ]    [ Log In ]    [ Sign Up ]

Subject: Error: directory is writable by others
  Posted: 03/09/2006 at 1:15:46 pm
  By: canadianguy

Hello all;

I can't seem to get this script working for the life of me and I'd appreciate any help offered.

The problem is that it's not working. lol I get an Internal Server error upon hitting submit and the error in my log comes up as 'error: directory is writable by others'.

I've CHMODED over and over as per the specifications and even changed them all to 777 permissions. Does anyone have any insight to my problem?

Thanks for your time!

Subject: Re: Error: directory is writable by others
  Posted: 03/09/2006 at 2:15:19 pm
  By: Seth Knorr

Well, it sounds like maybe your server is saying that the directory CAN NOT BE SET TO 777, so change it to 755 that may work...

After you do that, post any error message you get...

Seth

Posted: 03/10/2006 at 4:33:02 pm

Hey Seth,

Thank you so much for replying and a special thanks for providing this script!

I set the directory to 755 as per your suggestion and now I can see bizmail.cgi whereas before I couldn't but I'm getting the exact same error after hitting the submit button.

error: directory is writable by others: (/home/jacob/public_html/cgi-bin)

Do you have any ideas what the problem is? All the permissions are set as outlined in the manual. Should I be speaking to my host now?

Thanks again!

Posted: 03/10/2006 at 4:35:07 pm

O yea, I almost forgot to mention. There's this 'cgi wrapper' thing in my control panel (I'm sure you've heard of it being a pro and all). Is that something that could be causing some trouble?

Subject: Got it working
  Posted: 03/10/2006 at 8:54:21 pm

Just thought I'd let you know that I fixed the problem and everything is working beautifully!

For nay other noobs like me that might encounter an Internal Error the first few tries; be sure to check your error logs, quardruple check your file permissions (don't forget about the permissions for the directory the form is in like I did) and keep plugging away cause it's worth it.

Seth you're a prince for providing this type of stuff for noobs like me! I learned a lot.

Reply To This Topic

Subject
Password
Due to unrelated post's, you must have an
account to post a message. To Sign Up click here.

Copyright 2000-2010 Seth M. Knorr,
BizMailForm.com Forms Processor, All Rights Reserved